Fall Bounty! New crops, PYO Beans, Hammerbacher and more.
CSA Week 15: pick up Wd 9/21, 1-6, OR Sat 9/24, 9-2.
On the Table in Farm Shop…
Beets – the big, the beautiful fall beet! Winter squash – introducing “Delicata” (green striped, thin skinned and sweet) – see farm tips below. Also Butternut and Spaghetti options. Lettuce – gorgeous, tender – tis the season for salads again. Add Radish too! Kale – Toscana variety, also known as dinosaur kale. Sweet Potatoes – lots of recipes out there for kale and sweets; share your CSA creations with us! Pantry staples – Leeks, Onions and Garlic. Mix and Match options – Peppers, Potatoes (red, white, blues), Swiss chard.
Farm Tips –
- Winter Squash – cut in half, remove seeds, roast at 425 until fork tender; either cut side down in half inch water, OR face up w/ butter, maple syrup, salt, pepper. Season with fresh herbs post baking. Try twice baking – saute leftover veggies, meat if you like or a bread filling, maybe some cheese; stuff baked squash and return to oven to heat through.
- Beets – easy! If you can make hard boiled eggs, you can make beets. Boil whole (remove greens first and use for something else), when fork tender, about 30-40 min, drain/run under cold water, rub skins off. Keep in fridge for whenever – I love them sliced on salads, or paired with green beans and crumbled cheese.
- Green Beans – have at it – it rained!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of green beans out there. Extras for sale – bring a friend and show off “your” farm! We have 2 patches – only 1 open this week – pick the beans in center of field; the patch nearest herbs is not open yet.
- Flowers and Herbs – plenty of zinnias, sunflowers and herbs. Big bunches!
Extras for Sale…
- Hammerbacher – breads and baked goods.
- Cheeses, Eggs and Chicken Sausages.
- Produce – see Shop for details. Bring a friend!
See you on the Farm.
P.S. Thank you for all the rain dances and whatever prayers you said for the Farm. We really were sweating it out - literally! Cheers to fall.